The Chaparral Climate (aka The Mediterranean Climate)
- The Chaparral climate is the rarest climate in the world.
- Covers less than 5% of the world’s surface.
- Located in Southern California, Mediterranean, and South Australia
- Most endangered climate
- Most conducive to human habitation.
- Average annual max temperature: 70.3 degrees F
- Average annual min temperature: 49.1 degrees F
- Average annual precipitation: 14.71 inches (compared to 50 annual inches in Miami & New York)
- Low annual humidity.
- Warm, dry summers
- Cool winters
- Little rain
- Drought resistant plants (20% of the earth’s plant diversity exists in the Chaparral climate)
- Plants and landscapes adapted for fires
Map of Chaparral Climate